General Information: Application Procedure
Before applying to the Graduate School for Cellular and Biomedical Sciences (GCB), candidates must themselves arrange for a research laboratory and a supervisor. Check the websites of the participating faculties for details of research activities, and the offers for open PhD positions of the GCB and the University of Bern. Applications to the GCB must be submitted within four months after the start of the research project. University of Bern candidates with foreign diplomas please note that registration at the University of Bern is required before signing your employment contract with your supervisor.
Step 1: Enrollment at the University
University of Bern Candidates
Before applying to the GCB, PhD candidates of the University of Bern are required to apply online for the enrollment at the University of Bern as indicated here.
PhD candidates must register at the same faculty with which their supervisor is affiliated. They must fill in the relevant form «Confirmation of Supervision» on the bottom of this site. The form «Confirmation of Supervision» has to be signed by the Coordinator of the GCB in the last section of page 2. No signature is required from the Dean's Office.
Vetsuisse Zurich Candidates
GCB PhD candidates of the Vetsuisse Faculty Zurich must enroll at the University of Zurich, see Guidelines for GCB candidates of Vetsuisse ZH (DOCX, 18KB). For more information concerning enrollment at the UZH, refer to the University of Zurich website Doctoral Studies, or contact the University of Zurich Admissions Office.
PhD candidates must register at the same faculty to which their supervisor is affiliated.
Step 2: Application at the GCB
Deadlines for Application
The deadlines for application are April 15, August 15 and December 15.
The documents #1-9 must be merged into a single PDF file and sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
List of Required Application Documents
- Fully completed, dated and signed GCB Application Form (PDF, 406KB) . Please note that either electronic or scanned signature is necessary.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter of acceptance by the supervisor, written on official letter paper, dated and signed, including a financial pledge.
- Description of planned research project, using the Research Project Form (docx, 113KB). It should comprise two to max. four pages, be written by the candidate and address the items according to the outlines on the form.
- Written Statement Co-advisor (docx, 117KB), dated and signed.
- Photocopies of university diplomas (e.g. Bachelor and Master).
- Photocopies of transcripts/ mark sheets of Bachelor and Master studies. Transcripts should include a conversion key for marks where needed.
- Copies of translations of all documents # 6 and # 7, if they are issued in a language other than German, English, French, or Italian.
- Applies only to candidates of the Vetsuisse Faculty Zurich: Official UZH proof of registration, including matriculation number, issued by the University of Zurich.